Dare I do that? Well, I've done it! Even more frightening, I'm truly committing to the process by documenting it here and making it public!
In these first weeks, we've done two things:
(1) We used a CoRT Thinking strategy (CAF- Consider All Factors) to list every aspect of this idea that would require our planning and consideration. The students came up with factors that I'm not sure I had fully considered! You can see some of the things they listed here.
(2) Then, after giving the students a week to think about it, I asked them to submit their ideas. Understand that I told them to "dream big!" Via Edmodo, I sent them a few of my ideas for the space, with a link to this Padlet, where they were free to add any of theirs. There was a lot of excitement in the room as they typed away and read one another's ideas!
I guess I've truly embraced a growth mindset and am ready to take this risk. I've always been a big proponent of student-created products and student ownership. I admit, too, I've had great success with student-created museums in the past and that's a motivating factor. But, this is quite different in many ways!
My plan is to post "the good, the bad and the ugly" in the process.
So, here we go!